In 2019 I made a bold career move from selling beer to being a software engineer. I got lucky, because not only do I love the work, but I love writing about it, talking about it, and encouraging others to make their own bold career changes.
I'm currently a "full stack" Software Engineer with a passion for frontend. I work in Angular, C# and AWS, while my side projects are mostly in React, and I dabbled in Gatsby and GraphQL to make this site. Other passions and hobbies include: thinking about UX, writing about my experiences in tech, playing with colors and design for way too long, and renovating my recently purchased 1930s home in Portland, Oregon.
- I gave a talk on An Intro to AWS for Collab Lab, a non-profit that helps early-career developers.
- I led and spoke on a panel at the 2020 ACT-W about Transitioning Into a Dev Job from Less Traditional Pathways.
- I recently gave a talk at Donut.js about How to Support the Junior Dev on Your Team. It's a subject I feel pretty passionate about.
- I did a talk on Why Not Having a CS Degree is Awesome for 300 Seconds.
- I did an interview on the Learn To Code With Me podcast about making an Unexpected Shift from Selling Beer to Coding Bootcamp.
- I did an interview on the Develomentor podcast about my bootcamp experience and how I went From Beer Sales to Coding via Thinkful Bootcamp.
- I did an interview on the FIRE Drill podcast about increasing my career and income potential, and How I Transitioned My Career into Tech with a Coding Bootcamp.
Get in Touch
I'm always happy to talk, partially because I'm passionate about tech and alternate career paths, and partially because I am a social extrovert. If you'd like to chat about what it's like to go through a bootcamp, ask me to speak at an event or on a podcast, or you just want to say hey - send me an email or shoot me a message on Twitter!